Friday, October 5, 2012

Charlie's Retro Space Party

Hello! 
Today i'm featuring some of the details from Charlie's Retro Space Party.  This was Charlie's 4th birthday, and the inspiration for this party comes from Charlie's recent love of all things outer space.  He idolizes Buzz Lightyear, was particularly enamored with the Mickey's Space Adventure Episode, and will watch Lilo and Stitch - ad nauseum - just for the space parts.  Often you will see him, absent mindledly running around the house, toy rocket in hand, "flying" high in the air while he makes the appropriate "Space Sound Effects" with his mouth.  Thats why, when I saw the new  Rocket Age Line by October Afternoon I knew this would be the inspiration for the design of the party!  Some of the pages feature a little boy flying his rocket that looked SO MUCH like Charlie that it hurt!! I was thinking -" OK, 1960's, sleek chrome, retro fonts, martians, robots, slender rockets, space ray guns and tang!"  Bu-uut, Google was thinking "Space Shuttle, CGI drawings of planets, rockets made of toilet paper tubes, and NASA."  So, in the end, because I do not have a time machine to go back and buy all my Retro Space Party Paraphanalia (unfortunately), I kind of compromised.  Or made a few concessions, anyway.  The color scheme was royal blue, navy blue, with orange and silver as accents.  Because we had lots of adults at the party, the "grown up" drink was Moon-Mosas, featuring TANG (or as a friend called it "Moon Tang")
You can also see in the picture I went again with the fabulous PaperWhite Designs of St Louis for the bright paper straws that I just cannot resist incorporating into most any theme!  I opted to make a "cake" out of Moon Pies, being both a southerner and oh so clever, and placed Buzz Lightyear and an american flag on the top.  I ordered some Astronaut Ice Cream from Amazon.com because I felt like this would probably be the only opportunity in my life to rationalize buying an entire case of it.  Yummm...

I wanted to mirror the packaging of the astronaut ice cream in my favor packaging, so i purchased these awesome silver packets on amazon and customized them with stickers from the Rocket Age Line, or custom labels I designed.  The favors were Martian Space Rocks (orange rock candy) and a mix of Atomic Fireballs, Milky Ways, and Razzles (along with stickers, again from Rocket Age).  I also made a paper pennant banner (I couldn't resist!) with some of the remaining Rocket Age paper.  I used mostly glass or metal containers or serving ware in order to keep with the clean lines and also to minimize the impact so as to not detract from the actual packaging of the favors.  And we made an amazing "soundtrack" on iTunes, with a lot of David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust!!   Some fonts that work well with this theme are Font 33, Tall Deco and Denmark.  Also White Rabbit is a kind of "MS DOS" font.  Hope you enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment