Sunday, July 29, 2012

Linocuts and Block Printing!

I have developed a new obsession:  Block Printing!! My discovery of this art form sprang as an offshoot from my my obsession of all things Printmaking - Letterpress, Screenprinting .. it seems it was only a matter of time until I stumbled across Block Printing.  The basic concept of Block Printing is an amazingly simple one: hand carve something onto a block - ink it up and print it.  I find it amusing - having a background in "girly crafts", stamping, scrapbooking, etc, to see what a wide crossover there is between the more masculine, gritty starving artist world and the overly perfect, posh crafting world.  In my opinion, this is where block printing lies- the crossover.  Block Printing - the ambassador into the more artsy aspect of stamping.  Block Printing - the tatt'ed up and bohemian stepbrother of Rubber Stamping.  I bought this Speedball "Easy Carve" block along with a set of Lino Cutters (aka scoring tools for my stampers out there) and a Baren (aka pressure tool) for a total of about $10 yesterday and got to work.  I wanted to create a chevron background block print (aka stamp) for La Beaume Paperie business cards.  I was pretty worried, considering I have about zero skills in carving, but it was pretty easy and I am very pleased with how they turned out!!



No comments:

Post a Comment